Wichita, Kansas Spanish speaking Mission!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

March 24, 2014

There' s no place like Kansas! :)

Hola!

     So, I've finally made it to the field! What a crazy and long journey that was!! Tuesday was so long and jammed pack with some many things!! I woke up at one in the morning and got all ready to leave and then Hermana Jennings and I hauled our things over to the reception area. It was a little stressful making sure all of my bags weight were distributed correctly but I made it work in the end! :) Me and the four other missionaries heading to Kansas hopped in a van and headed to the airport. It was so exciting for us but it was a little sad because one member of our district was still there at the CCM all alone and he started crying when the three of us (Hermana Jennings, Elder Grow, and I) left. We arrived at the airport at 3 in the morning and it was packed!! It was so crazy!!!!! We waited in line for over an hour and a half to get our bags checked in and our boarding passes. Thankfully one of the Hermano's from the CCM was there with us to make sure that we got all of our stuff worked out. Man, airport security in Mexico is a walk in the park compared to the US! It took all of two minutes to get through. We arrived at our gate at 5:15 and I had just enough time to finally get my real Mexican Coke!!!! It tasted so good!!!! :) The flight out of Mexico was smooth and there was no problems. I was really proud of Hermana Jennings she talked to the man sitting next to her the whole time!! She was able to talk to him a about the gospel!! I wanted to talk to the lady sitting next to me but the second after she sat down she totally passed out. When we all got the the Houston airport we were all so used to talking in Spanish that we still responded to all of the questions people asked us in Spanish and the looked at us with the "Your weird" and the "Come on we all know that your white" faces. But esta bien!! :) You should be really proud of me mom because I lead our whole group through the airport and if I hadn't been there they all would've been super lost!

     From the Houston Airport we took a flight on a tiny airplane to Wichita. When we were flying over all I could think was that everything looked super dead and that it was really flat. When we landed I almost had a mini panic attack because it was sooooooooooooooo flat!!!!!!!! But I recovered quickly and I know that I wasn't the only one who was struggling, Elder Grow was freaking out too. He was all "I guess the Lord does still send famines to the earth!!" Once again I lead everyone through the airport and when my eyes beheld President and sister Bell I immediately fell in love with them and I knew that my mission was going to be great!! They are wonderful people and I just love them so much. The rest of the day was spent in training and then we had a fabulous dinner (it was real american food!!! BBQ) and then we had interviews with President Bell. Then next day we met our companions and mine is amazing!!!!! Her name is Hermana Fernandez and she's from Barcelona Spain!! She is so wonderful and incredibly patient and encouraging! I was a little nervous when Pres. Bell told me that she was my companion because he said that she didn't know a lot of English. But her english is really good and I can already tell that I'm learning a ton of Spanish with her as my companion. My area is a place called Newton it's about 20 minutes outside Wichita and the people here are really great. The work is hard but good, and it's super cold here which can be really hard to deal with at times but it's all good. We teach in both Spanish and English here, but most spanish. I really wish I knew more spanish so I could help everyone out more but I know it will come. My goal is to be fluent by the end of my time with Hermana Fernandez, so it eleven weeks.

     I love you all and I will try to get my emails a better length, especially since I now have two hours to email!!!!!! :)


Para siempre Dios este con voz!
Hermana Kammeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment